Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Christmas Eve!

Today we'll take a quick photo trip down Christmas Eve memory lane.

I gotta worn ya, it ain't pretty.

A short story. Last C'mas Eve the Man and I were on Magen's Bay. Still new to the islands we were hanging by ourselves, having some drinks and calling friends/family. I started the day with a couple of Pina Coladas, but on a drink run to the bar I noticed a sign for tasty rum punches and decided to have those. We happened to know the bartender and she loaded my drinks up, and I mean LOADed. Fast forward a few hours and I was pretty much face in the sand. I don't remember much after ordering the drinks, but I guess I fell a few times and the Man decided I needed to go home. He packed me in the car, drove us home and that's where it happened. We live on a steep downgrade of scraggily concrete. As I opened the passenger door of the SUV it flung forward and I apparently went with it. And landed on the concrete. Hard. The Man got me inside, showered me off, bandaged me up and I didn't wake up until Christmas morn. We hit the beach the next day, and told our small group of people-we-had-basically-just-met what I did. Then I showed it off. I'd like to think it endeared me to people, or maybe not, but either way I got a lot of mileage off my scars and it's been a good story in the past year.

This was taken about a week after the fall:



I took about four layers off my left knee, it was the size of a credit card and it was the worst scab I've had in my entire 33 years. This sucker took forEVER to heal. Everytime I had to stand or sit it took me about 5 minutes to work the scab into a stretched or crunched position. If I went into the ocean it stung, and when I got it the salt stung even worse as it dried.

Here's how it looks one year later:




It's definitely hard to see in this pic, but the scar is (and will always be) visible. Even in my bike riding days of kidhood I never did damage like this.

What does this have to do with island life?

Don't get wasted on rum punch. Don't live on downgrades. Don't open your own door when you're wasted.

Really, the wisdom in this post is so valuable I shouldn't have to spell it out.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Merry Island Christmas Chicha!!! Hope it's fabulous...maybe just take pictures instead of doing permanent damage to your body in remeberance???

nejyerf said...

i haven't been around in such a long time that you've picked up and moved to the islands and i missed it. but i showed up in time to see your war wounds.

you KNOW i love a good owie pictures. and these are particularly good ones. i'm glad you healed up.

Here's hoping you and the Man are having a Merry Christmas!!