Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Another post? So soon?

I'm getting back to my blogging form, with this - my second post in as many days :) I do miss the blogging world, and I'm coming by to visit y'all this morning.

So - to catch you up - as you've figured, we all made it here safely, exactly two weeks ago yesterday. In the past two weeks we've had two beach days, a bunch of dinners with our friends here, one tiki bar party, about five days of errands (which means MAAAAANY hours in island traffic - sad). I've completed forty hours of virtual work, dropped in five or six restaurants to put my name in as waitress, done a couple loads of laundry, and re-embraced all of the summer clothes I left here last year.

Tonight, at 5pm I will begin my St. Thomas waitress career - woohoo! It's a local restaurant that does a pretty good business. We were there last Friday night to see our friend sing (funny dude, more on him another time) and I asked the owner if he was looking for any servers. He was, and tonight I will shadow the staff, and this Friday I will be on my own - yikes!

Between you and me I haven't waitressed since college, but I'm pretty sure it's like riding a bike. A busy, fast-paced, 'where's my drink!', 'i'm sorry what did you want on your salad??', 'this is all they fcking tipped me?!' bike, but I'm up for the challenge. Plus, our waitress BLEW on Friday night, and I'm positive I can do a better job.

I'll let you know how it goes - if it works out I'll be scheduled for Friday nights and Saturday days. He asked about bartending too, so hopefully I'll move into that.

That's it for today-

4 comments:

Wicked M said...

Yay for more regular blogging! I'm so, so, so(!) jealous that you are in the sun and I'm in the GRAY and depressing south.

Yay for waitressing! I'm sure with your bubbly personality that you will be raking in the tips.

Betsy said...

I'm sure you'll be a natural at the waitress gig. I haven't done it for a long time but if I remember right it wasn't exactly rocket science....as long as you can remember the different potatoe choices :)

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Go NJaney, waitress superior. Congrats on the new gig.

Anonymous said...

You just started and you get Friday nights??? Usually restaurants give the new girl Tuesday nights and Monday mornings,so she never makes any money. Good for you!

PS SOOOO jealous of the weather down there. I plan on being a snow/sunbird (or whatever you call this splitting the year between two places thing) as soon as possible. Kids can be home schooled.